Ticks are a worthy enemy because they carry Lyme disease!
So, they are the scariest insects.
This is why we need to learn how to get rid of ticks. Let’s find out together some helpful advice to keep them away!
How to Get Rid of Ticks in Your House
1. Thorough Cleaning
This is an essential step even if you want to get rid of ticks, flies, ants or any other insects.
You just can’t skip it. There is no way!
So, now and then choose a whole day of general cleaning. Pay attention to every corner of your place and do a very thorough cleaning! Moreover, here are some actions that especially need your attention:
- Vacuum-cleaning (by this method you can even remove the tick eggs).
- Wash everything in hot water (this is how you will destroy any midget).
- Apply products in the infested areas (if needed).
2. Check Your Pets
It is very well-known that ticks simply love to be parasite on other beings.
Humans are not their only target, but ticks also spot animals. Your pets are are also prone to getting these horrifying midgets. It is highly recommended for you to carefully check your pets, especially if they use to wander outside.
Moreover, you should call the veterinarian and ask him to indicate you some safe pests to apply on your pets. You can also purchase tick collars for prevention, as they are very efficient.
Bonus Tip: Here is one product you can find on Amazon: Virbac Preventic Tick Collar.
Using Home Remedies to Get Rid of Ticks Naturally
If you usually avoid chemicals, no worries! There are some home remedies made of natural ingredients you can use carefree.
3. Coconut Oil
This remedy is very efficient in case of tick bite.
Coconut oil isn’t just good for cooking, cures and so on.
Yes! You got this right! This will also help you with ticks.
Just apply some coconut oil (choose a pure version) on the bite and ta-daaa, the tick will run away!
4. Tea Tree Oil & White Vinegar
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- 1 cup of ditiled water
- A spray bottle
How to prepare it: mix all the ingredients and pour the mixture into the bottle and spray where needed.
Bonus Tip: You can spray your pets too! Still, the natural tea tree oil may give irritations if applied directly on the skin.
5. Aloe Vera & Oils
- 40 drops of geranium essential oil.
- 4 tablespoons of almond oil.
- 2 tablespoons of aloe vera.
- A spray bottle.
How to prepare it: make a combination of all the ingredients and fill the spray bottle with it.
6. Baking Soda & Salt & Apple Cider Vinegar
- Half tablespoon of baking soda.
- Half tablespoon of salt.
- 4 ounces of apple cider vinegar.
- A spray bottle
How to prepare it: in the first place you have to mix the dry ingredients. Then combine them with the vinegar, put the mixture into the bottle and spray! Ba-bye ticks!
7. Eucalyptus Oil
- 10 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- 4 ounces of distilled water.
- A spray bottle.
How to prepare it: put the 10 drops of oil into the spray bottle filled with water. Before applying the product, don’t forget to shake to bottle.
Bonus tip: this solution is also suitable for your pets. Spray them with it and cleanse them of ticks!
8. Using Chemical Products
If you are determined to get rid of ticks, no matter what, then go for chemicals!
There are some awesome products that have high-efficiency. Check them in the list below:
- Ben’s 30% DEET Mosquito, Tick and Insect Repellent Pump DEET is the most helpful, as tests show. You can buy it on Amazon by clicking here.
- Bens 30 Tick & Insect Repellent: Another great product you can find on Amazon, just click here.
- Repel HG-94138 Tick Defense Unscented Aerosol-6.5 ounce: You need to spray this product on your clothes and it is a very good protection when you go outside. Of course, it is also a good repellent in general. You can purchase it on Amazon, click here.
9. Using Natural Products
You don’t want to use chemical products?
You also have no skills or time for DIY remedies?
We have got you covered again! Let’s see some natural & organic products to get rid of ticks:
- Vet’s Best – Flea & Tick Home Spray: You can find this tick repellent on Amazon, click here
- YAYA Organics Tick Repellent, Deet-free Natural, Organic Tick and Bug Spray: Made with essential oils, this product is also Deet-Free. Go for it, if you prefer natural and want to keep your children safe. Here is the link where you can purchase it, click here
- Wondercide Natural Flea & Tick Control for Pets Home – Cedar & Lemongrass: Looking for something to use on your pets? You have just found what you need! Click here and buy the product on Amazon
How to Get Rid of Ticks in Your Garden and Yard
What Do You Need to Know?
- Ticks love darkness and moisture. This is why you need to keep your garden and your yard as clear & dry as possible. Mow the grass and don’t let the vegetation build up! Doing so, the soil will be dry and completely unattractive for ticks.
- Debris attract ticks. Make sure to clean up all cut grass, leaves or any other trash, to keep your yard safe.
- Deer are the main animals which ticks infest. If you live near areas where deer freely horse around, then fence in! This is how you will prevent themspread midgets into your yard or garden.
- When mice are around, then ticks are around. Have you seen ”Mickey Mouse” and his large family in your garden? Be cautious and try to control themice population.
- In summer season, the problem is bgger. Now is the time for you to use an organic, homemade product. Combine cedar oil with garlic oil, pour the solution into a spray bottle and apply all over your yard. Repeat the process as often as you can.
10. A Great Biodegradable Method
There is an interesting method used by pros and this is quite simple. You only need cotton balls, cardboard tubes and permethrin.
- Treat the cotton balls with permethrin.
- Fill the tubes with the treated balls.
- Place the tubes on the infested areas, but try to somehow hide them.
- Mice will do the rest. They need the cotton for building nests, so they will collect it. The ticks will get exposed to permethrin and this will kill them.
11. Using Plants
Nature is our best friend again. Another round in this battle is plants vs. ticks. If you don’t believe, then try and the results will surprise you.
Here is a list of some plants you need to grow in your garden. You will finally manage to repel tick populations!
WARNING: some of this plants may cause reactions and/or irritations to some pets. You should place the plants out of pets reach, especially if you encounter such problems.
- Lavender: this is a great tick and bug repellent in general. Its strong scent is simply disgusting for these creatures, so they will stay away.
- Chrysanthemums: beautiful flower, but also very powerful against ticks. It has a high level of pyrethrins, a natural toxin people have always used as insecticide.
- Catnip: here is a plant that is totally safe for cats, of course. Moreover, your cat and probably many other ones will play around catnip on and on. If you don’t have a problem with it, then go for it. Catnip is an efficient tick repellent.
- Rosemary: if you thought this is good just for cooking, then you are wrong! Plant rosemary in your garden and it will keep ticks at bay.
Want more options? Then here are more other plants you can grow:
12. Using Natural Products
There are also anti-ticks products designed for outdoor use. Moreover, they are safe to use around pets and children, but still powerful. You can find them on Amazon.
- Bonide 857 Pyrethrin Spray Concentrate: Pyrethrin is a substance found in chrysanthemums. It is used for many decades as a very useful insecticide. Bonide 857 Pyrethrin is a spray that does no harm to your crops and has a broad spectrum. You can buy it on Amazon here
- Ready-to-Spray Natural Flea and Tick Yard Spray: Another great product which you can use without fear. It is safe for children, pets, flowers and even bees. Buy it on Amazon, click here.
Have you tried all the above mentioned remedies?
Nothing worked for you?
Then the situation may be out of control. All these blood-sucking midgets are not something to ignore. So it’s time to call a pro!
The job will be done quickly, with guaranteed results. Of course, this means less effort for you, but also less money in the pocket. It’s all up to you!
This being said, you are now informed and ready to face the frightening tiny enemy. All you have to do is to act right now. We hope this information will help you learn how to get rid of ticks for good!