Spiders are some of the most frightening pests on Earth.
What a nightmare to see them webbing in your house… Still, keep calm!
It doesn’t matter that you even don’t know for sure if those little hairy things are spiders. Read this article and prepare your strategy of driving them out of your place.
Don’t get intimidated by their gruesome appearance!
What Do Spiders Look Like
Generally speaking, a spider has 8 legs, 2 body segments and they don’t have any wings. They may have 4, 6 or even 8 eyes, depending on the species and vary when it comes to the body colour.
Be careful, they are all venomous, but just a small number of them can put human life in danger. However, each type of spiders has specific features.
Types of Spiders
You wouldn’t believe, but the truth is that there are 40.000 spider species out there. Quite impressive and also creepy!
They belong to the Arachnid family and are well-known for their ability to bite. This is how they kill their prey.
As there are so many types of spider, of course we are going to present just the most important species.
Black Widow Spider
- Black and shiny.
- Most of them are 3 to 10 mm in size.
- Females can have about 13mm in size, as they are larger than males.
- The majority of this species have a red hourglass-shaped marking on their abdomen.
You have probably heard about this type. People are fascinated by the female spider because it eats the male after mating. Also, the black widow spider is the most venomous spider in the world. Don’t be afraid, their bite is rarely fatal to humans.
- They have 8 eyes and, consequently, excellent vision.
- They are large and hairy, which helps them climb up even on glass.
- Very agile jumpers, while their movements are slow.
- The size varies between 1 up to 25 mm, depending on the sub-type.
Their interesting characteristic is that of building silk tents. This is like a shelter they go into at night or when the weather is bad. Actually, this is a larger category and the jumping spider category includes about 300 sub-types.
Brown Recluse Spider
- They have a violin-shaped marking on their body.
- Colour: light to dark brown.
- They have only 6 eyes, beside other spider species.
This type is one of the most interesting, as its appearance resembles to a violin drawing. Most often, you will find these spiders running or simply walking. Webbing is not really their cup of tea.
American House Spider
- Usually, they are dull brown.
- They are about 6mm long.
- This spider tends to camouflage and to remain unnoticed.
Another common is the American house one. The funny thing is that they pretend to be dead, when they are at bay. Moreover, it is important for you to know they have poor vision.
There are three stages a spider goes through in its life-cycle: egg, spiderling and adult.
- Before laying eggs, female spiders create some sort of cases, called egg sacs. A sac is made of spider silk and may contain just a single egg or thousands of eggs. It has the role to protect the egg against any harm.
- The laid eggs need a few weeks to hatch or they overwinter in the sac, in some regions.
- As spider ling, it resembles an adult spider, at a smaller scale. They move by walling or by ballooning.
- Spider lings get through at least 5 molts until they become adults.
- Some spider types molt even during adulthood.
- A spider is adult when it is ready to mate.
A female spider lives for about 3 years, while the male live for about 2 months. These numbers vary depending on the species features. It is interesting to know that tarantulas may live for about 20 years.
Signs of Spider Presence
It is not that hard to detect a spider infestation in your house. The first sign of their presence is pretty visible: the webs.
There is no chance for you to don’t get annoyed by those silky tracks. So, mainly, spiders can be detected by inspection.
We also want you to know where to look for them. In general, they prefer hidden places, darkness and moist.
Here is a list with the most likely places where it is possible to find some types of spiders. Check these places and see if you are dealing with the 8-legged friend.
- Outdoor furniture
- Stone walls
- In folds of curtains/draperies
- In cracks of hardwood floors
- Under furniture
- In the underside of doors
- Behind pictures
- In dressers.
American house spider
- Under furniture
- Window frames.
How Do You Get Spiders
In autumn, spider season is on. Because of the weather or because they found a food source in your house, spiders decide to move in. Moreover, it is also the mating season, so males are searching for female spiders, why not in your home?
Another reason for spider infestation is that your house is full of insects spider love to eat. Dirt, food crumbs and clutter attracts those insects which in turn attract spiders. What a chain reaction!
How to Kill Spiders Naturally and Fast
First of all, we need to warn you that spiders are actually useful.
They kill other pests in your house. In addition, some recent studies revealed the fact that spider venom can cure arthritis.
Of course, there are some species that we must avoid: black widow or the violin spider. If you are an arachnophobe or you simply hate spiders, there are more ways to kill them.
Let’s find out together how to solve the creepy issue:
1. DIY Methods
We have two helpful homemade recipes that will help you kill your hairy enemy:
Saline solution. Salt is poisonous for spiders and will help you kill them. You need an ounce of salt that you will dissolve in warm water. Pour the solution into a spray bottle and then shake it, to mix it properly. Now it is ready to use. It is also efficient against spider nests.
Dish soap. Mix 5 tablespoons with water and put the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray the spider and it will be dead in a couple of minutes.
2. Natural Spider Pests
If you are one of those persons who don’t even take into consideration to use chemicals, no problem!
At the moment, there are very efficient products you can safely use. They have natural ingredients and they still rock! Here are some of these:
- Cravegreens Organic Home Pest Control Spray: Both lost lasting and fast acting. What to wish more? You can find it on Amazon, just click here
- Natural Oust Organic Home Pest Control Spray: This is an organic formula, eco-friendly and human-friendly. Click here to check it out.
3. Chemical Products
If you are ready to play next level, here are some “toys” you may need:
- Wet & Forget 803064 Miss Muffet’s Revenge Spider Killer: It can be used for both indoors and outdoors. Moreover, it is odourless and immediately kills spiders. Again, you can buy it on Amazon.
- Black Flag Spider and Scorpion Killer: Very efficient for black widow, brown recluse and wolf spiders. If you are interested, check this link.
4. Hiring a Pro
The supreme anti-spider treatment is… hiring a pro. I am afraid that you need to call an exterminator, when you fail to kill the spiders.
The good thing is that you won’t lift a finger, but the job will be done.
You have more options to choose from, when it comes to killing spiders. This is why the prices vary, depending on the option you choose.
- DIY methods cost are the cheapest. Sometimes you may already have the ingredients in your kitchen (see the DIYs above).
- Natural or chemical pesticides start at $4.
- The most expensive treatment is represented by hiring an exterminator. At least for the first-time application the price is between $100 and $300. After that, for maintenance, the price goes down.
How to Prevent Them
People must understand that it is better to prevent, than cure. This is why we insist that you follow the recommendations:
- Seal all the cracks your walls may have.
- Periodically, carefully vacuum clean the entire place, paying attention to corners and ceilings.
- Keep your house clean, to avoid small pests come into your house. This is because they attract spiders.
- Wash the walls with disinfectants. This will prevent spiders to create webs, as they will hate the smell.
- Caulk the entrances in your home.
- When you see spider webs, take a broom and remove it. Doing this, the spider will be discouraged.
You can now respire. You know how to fight spiders. Remember that they are not as bad as we believe. In fact, the majority of them are really useful and safe.
We hope this is reliable information for you to learn how to kill spiders for good! Now you can cope with the hairy creepy creatures!